Noise Nusiance


Complaints about excessive noise are investigated by the Environmental Health Department.

Noise is generally considered to be unwanted sound, but what one person considers an unwanted sound, may not seem unreasonable to someone else.

As an enforcing authority, we have to decide what is reasonable and what is not, before taking formal action.  Our noise service investigates complaints about noise from commercial, industrial and domestic sources. We provide this service during normal office hours.                                    

We can help or advise you about noise from:

     barking dogs

     pubs and clubs

     noisy neighbours


     industrial plant or machinery

     building sites

We cannot deal with the normal everyday sounds of living in dwellings e.g. children playing, doors banging or people shouting.



If you are disturbed by noise, you may contact us either for advice or to investigate the complaint on your behalf. 

Before making the complaint it may be a good idea to approach the person causing the noise and explain the problem politely to see if the matter can be resolved informally.  You could also keep a diary of events so that you can get a picture of how often the problem is occurring and how it is affecting you.

Should you wish to make a complaint about noise you will need to give us the following information:

       Your name, address and telephone number.  This information will be kept confidential.  If you do not provide your name and address we may not be able to investigate your complaint.

       The address of where the noise is coming from.  The name of the occupier of that address and the person resposible for the noise – if known

       The nature of the noise, when it is occurring and how it affects you.

Complaints can be made in person, by telephone, by letter, electronically or via a third party by contacting us:

 Environmental Health Department, Omagh District Council, Lisnamallard House, Old Mountfield Road, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, BT79 7EG

 028 82256202

028 8224 8086

Office Hours: 9.00am-1.00pm and 2.00pm- 5.00pm An answer machine is available at this number outside normal working hours


In most cases we deal with noise problems by assessing whether the noise is unreasonable taking into account factors such as loudness, time of day, how often it occurs and how long it lasts. If our investigation determines that no statutory nuisance can be substantiated, the officer will confirm this by telephone and/or in writing.  

If a statutory nuisance is proven to exist, a noise abatement notice can be issued under Pollution Control and Local Government (NI) Order 1978 on the person responsible for making the noise.  Failure to comply with an abatement notice is an offence and the Council can prosecute.  If the Council decides to pursue legal action for non-compliance of an abatement notice you may be asked to provide a statement or appear in court as a witness.  This will be discussed with you fully at the time and your wishes will be taken into account.


Environment and Heritage Service:

Bothered by noise leaflet

Is your dog barking too much?