Register A Stillbirth
Stillbirth is an extremely traumatic experience and it is essential that the process of registering a stillbirth is made as trouble-free as possible.
This is free and can be done in any Registrar's office within Northern Ireland.
Registering a stillbirth is very simple and no appointment is needed.
Our Registrar's office is located in The Grange, Mountjoy Road and is open from 9.00am to 12.30pm and 2.00pm to 4.30pm Monday to Thursday and 9.00am – 12.30pm and 2.00pm to 4pm on Fridays. If you have a query, call us on 028 82256212 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What information will I need?
You will need a medical certificate, signed by a doctor, which shows the cause of stillbirth. We will also need:
- full name and surname of the baby
- date and place of death
- usual address
- full names and occupations of the baby's mother and father.
Please note that a registration cannot be easily changed once completed.
Who can register?
- mother or father of the baby, if you are a married couple
- maternal grandfather
- maternal grandmother
- maternal uncle
- maternal aunt
- occupier of the premises where the stillbirth took place, for example, a governor or matron
- any person present at the stillbirth.
Advice and support
The NI Direct website has details of organisations which can providesupport after a bereavement.